If your keys locked in the car, you know how frustrating it can be. Assuming you’ve decided not to risk hiding an extra set of keys in your car, here are a few tips to get you back on the road.
Tips for Breaking a Side Window on a Car
- If your window is not too expensive to replace, you can always try and break the window to get in.
- You need something sharp. A hammer would surely be convenient but you will want to use the claw end. A screwdriver would also be handy. Maybe a golf club or a sturdy ice window scraper would do.
- The center of a car glass window is the strongest. Try breaking the glass closer to the edge where it is weakest.
- Tinted glass is the best because it will not shatter. The tint will hold it together yet still allow the glass to be broken and removed. Always choose the window furthest from a child to protect him or her from shattered glass spray.
- It can be frustrating trying to get the glass to break when you do not have something sharp to get the job done. Keep calm and ask someone nearby if they can help. Beating relentlessly on a glass window without the proper tool will only cause you more stress.
If breaking a window is not an option, you can try opening the car yourself by:
- Sliding a deflated blood pressure cuff in between the top corner of the driver’s side door
- Blow the cuff up until there is a small gap creating an opening in the vehicle
- Do not over expand the cuff because it could damage the door
- Use a wire coat hanger or other long, skinny object that will fit
- Squeeze the coat hanger into the opening and hit the unlock button
Obviously, most people do not have a blood pressure cuff lying around. Plus, it will probably take a little fiddling to get the cuff into the door. You really want to be careful about bending the door by over inflating the cuff. A damaged door can cost a whole lot more to repair than hiring a tow service.
Call A Locksmith And Retrieve Your Keys Locked In The Car
Again, we understand that most people do not have a blood pressure cuff lying around. It is certainly even less likely that you will have access to it at the exact moment you are locked out of the car.
Therefore, the best and simplest way to get your vehicle unlocked is to call a locksmith and then determine if you have a roadside assistance plan that will reimburse you. Our locksmith company is open 24 hours a day to help you get back into your car or home day or night. So call Northridge Lock and Safe at (818) 296-1032 and get a free quote over the phone right away!